Write Wow!

Writing tips and techniques from the publisher of Swimming Kangaroo Books. Send your 3-page writing sample to be critiqued to dindy@swimmingkangaroo.com with the word "critique" in the subject heading. Your submission will be critiqued on the blog, but your name will not be used unless you give permission.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Time Gone By

It's really pathetic when I look at this blog and notice that I have not posted since May. The truth of the matter is that I am swamped. There's an old adage that you find the time to do the things you REALLY want to do. Therefore, if you want to write, you will find time to do so. That's a really nice platitude but the cold hard facts are that sometimes when you are looking at your priorities, the things you WANT to do get pushed to the bottom of the pile by the things you have to do.

First there's the tiny little issue of having to make a living. Now I don't live extravagantly, but I do like to eat an occasional meal, and my mortgage company appreciates it when I make my monthly house payment. There are some who will loftily tell me that I should use my writing skills to make money, to which my response is to ask them how well that is working out for them.

Next there is the issue of family. I had a daughter get married this summer. My in-laws were seriously injured in a roll-over auto accident (they are doing okay, thanks.) My dad was hospitalized for several days with back problems. I think I am entitled to an excused absence for having to take care of these family issues instead of writing in my blog.

Then there's the issue of my duties as a publisher. I have a group of writers that are depending on me to do publisher work for them. They take priority over my own writing and my blog because I've made a commitment to them.

Let's face it, sometimes life intervenes. And I guess, in a way, the platitude has an element of truth in it. I'd rather know where my next meal is coming from than not. I'd rather live in a house than in an unheated garret. I'd rather spend time with my family than be a hermit. So, admittedly, writing is NOT the Number One priority in my life. It's in my Top Ten, and at times is even in my Top Five. However, at this point in my life, it is not Number One, and I make no apologies for that.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For other writers, it's the sheer nosiness factor that makes us yearn for posts. Writers are nosy beasts! But that's how we are and how we come up with story ideas, at least that's how I do, at any rate. Watch people, see what makes them tick - or read their blog and get a small glimpse into the life of another. Garner another idea for the endless stories floating around in the mind.

Gawd, that sounds a bit stalker-ish, doesn't it?

Nah. Just nosy.

Your life has been busy, don't apologize. Real life always takes precedence. Ignore the teeming crowds milling about under the blog window, *laugh* they'll still be there reading to pounce on the next post, whenever it happens.

Kathi

1:25 AM  
Blogger Penelope Marzec said...

Life does gets crazy sometimes. I feel bad that I don't always have the time to even read other blogs--much less keep mine up-to-date.

Here's hoping you have you find some time to breathe. :^)

7:09 PM  
Blogger Swimming Kangaroo said...

You are both very kind. I predict things will let up about the year 2071!
Dindy

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having just started to 'rewrite' my own dusty stories...I truly understand. I've read a couple of your shorts and have to tell you, they made me cry. That's a good thing! Stories should effect us.
Thankyou

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home